Season 2 of Stranger Things is here! So maybe you want to throw a viewing party for the first episode (or all of them!). Here is one I threw this past weekend, and it was easy to put it together. (Not pictured: bundled ball of Christmas lights, DnD materials, and a few other little decorations)
I knew that I wanted to throw this party but do it as cheap as possible. Hey, it is the holiday season, and I need money for gifts! No judgement. 😛
Here are things you can do for free (or close to it):
- Christmas lights – string lights all over the place! Joyce Byers went light-crazy when trying to communicate with Will.
- Sheets and/or sticks for a make-shift Castle Byers
- Set the mood with a Spotify playlist. You can play the Stranger Things soundtrack and/or mix it up with songs by The Clash, The Bangles, Peter Gabriel, etc.
- Follow mine here: https://open.spotify.com/user/ebcorbin/playlist/5amwBUGBWjoeoOC4z3p6mx
- Print out these flyers and tack them up everywhere!
- Recycled paper/posters done up with paint and/or markers to make signs. You could do Castle Byers, Welcome to Hawkins, U.S. Department of Energy, etc. and place them around your house.
If you want to get fancier:
- Themed foods – I served Eggos and coffee for breakfast, chocolate pudding for a mid-day snack, burgers and fries for dinner, and a Barb-themed cake for dessert
- Costumes! Hot Topic has some great options.
- A plastic ax a la Joyce Byers vs. Demigorgon
- Make an alphabet wall! I did mine with paint, posterboard, and tape. It was actually pretty simple!
- Crushed coke cans a la Eleven in the lab 😥
- DnD materials strewn on the table
- Pumpkins if you want to be on point for this season’s theme – Halloween
- A make-shift photobooth! These are really easy to do — I did one for Labyrinth once for a friend. Section off a little area of your house for photos and someone can be the picture taker. It’s better yet if you have a Polaroid or a tripod, but remember your phone probably has a timer on it and a selfie-mode to check that you have your photo just right. Make it fun! Here are some ideas:
- Blue light in a lamp placed on the ground + black table cloth pinned to the wall with thumbtacks = The Upside Down!
- Make the alphabet wall your photo booth! Paint the alphabet and some flowers on a brown table cloth + Christmas lights and pose with a plastic ax or baseball bat. You’re ready for monster fighting!
- Iridescent table cloth + some white Christmas decorations/lights and you’re at the Snow Ball!
- Themed drinks! Everyone loves a themed cocktail. Try one of these ideas:
Now run out and enjoy your party! Make it a GOOD now-memory!