Vargulf Cosplay Process: Post #5

Now we’re to the silicone phase! LBCC is rapidly approaching, so thanks for following along as these posts come in quick succession.

1) I put down a towel. (Especially important for this stage.) I then placed all of my items I would need on top. Plastic forks for stirring/chopping chunks, two bowls for the separate liquids, one big container for the combined liquids, and a bowl to pour the combined liquid in on top of the mask.

2) The instructions are very straight forward with the silicone. Stir Part A thoroughly. Stir Part B thoroughly. Then combine them and stir them both thoroughly. Whatever measurement you decide on by the way, it requires equal parts A and B. I went with the whole container as it doesn’t have a long shelf life and I wanted to make sure this thing got covered in one go.

With the silicone I used, one liquid is pink and one is blue, so when they combine you get a yummy lavender color.

With the silicone I used, one liquid is pink and one is blue, so when they combine you get a yummy lavender color.

3) I poured the mixture slowly out over the clay. Since it was a somewhat complex mold (as opposed to a flat mask), I wanted to make sure I covered every angle. This required tilting the bowl a bit, and using a spoon to pick up the excess in the bowl and drizzle it over hard-to-reach features like the roof of the mouth and the teeth.

4) I repeated the scooping-the-excess-and-redrizzling phase a few times as the silicone began to harden. I honestly found this so mesmerizing that it was rather relaxing to sit there and do it over and over again.

5) It hardened to a jello-like consistency in probably 15 minutes tops, but since I wanted it to reach full-on rubber status, I left it to sit by a fan for about six hours.

6) Once it had hardened, I used the remaining plaster strips to form a mold on the face. (I know, so many layers! Who would have thought, huh?) This step is very important though. Once you remove the silicone, if you just pour the plastic right in while holding the rubber, it’s going to go in all lop-sided and you’re going to end up with a really derpy mask. Use this to keep your project from going wonky.


7) I then let the plaster harden for a while (It only needs about 15 minutes, but I gave it longer because I was busy with other things) in front of a fan.


8) Now we’re ready for the removal and plastic process!


About EBCorbin

Writer. Reader. Pumpkin Eater.
This entry was posted in Conventions, Cosplay, TV/Movies and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s