Here is the next step in the Vargulf cosplay process. It is coming along!
1 ) Now that I had a plaster cast of my face, I filled it with minimal expansion polyurethane-based foam. It expands up to 40%, so definitely just fill it up half-way or so and you’ll be fine. (I definitely underestimated how much 40% was by the way.)
2) Then I placed it in a bowl with newspapers for support. Put it in something that you don’t mind getting foam on so that you aren’t standing there holding it for hours.
3) I then let it dry for 24 hours. During this process, I stopped by the bowl once every few hours to wipe away any excess foam that was spilling out and to kind of push (gently!) on the sides of the mask to make sure it retained its shape. With the minimal expansion foam, I really don’t think you’ll have too much warping, but just in case!
4) Once it had hardened, I used a knife to cut away the back so that it sat flat on the ground. I used a serrated bread knife because it was long enough to go all the way through and the serration helped with carving. It came off really easily.
5) Now I am ready to start sculpting on top of it!
Woohoo! See you guys in the next post!