Yikes! 2014 is almost over and I almost forgot my five favorite things for the month. Time to get to work!
- Masters of Sex – I am a fan of both Michael Sheen and Lizzy Caplan, so this show made sense right off the bat for me. I was hooked just a couple of episodes into the first season. I actually just finished season 2, and I really fell in love with this pair on-and-off screen even more. They make you want to read every study Masters and Johnson ever produced. Way more compelling than Kinsey in my opinion, though in the same vein. The acting is terrific, but if you’re just in it for a bit of tawdry fun (it’s got sex in the title, amirite?), there is also a lot of hotness going on in nearly every episode. Who would have though Michael Sheen would be so appealing? As the great Bart Simpson would say, “Whoaaaaaa mama!”
- The Hobbit – This is actually on two levels. First, I was just gifted Tolkien’s series of books, so there is that. Confession time: I have only ever read the Fellowship of the Ring and that was when I was 12. I’m pretty ashamed to say that, because I absolutely adore the films. I own three copies for reasons unknown. I can’t wait to devour the books and stop hanging my head in shame. Second, I just saw the last installment of Peter Jackson’s Hobbit trilogy and I thought it was enjoyable. Those films are clearly not as great as the first three, but they are still fun to watch. Great popcorn movies.
- Funko Pop! Figures – I mentioned these cute, big ol’ headed guys way back when, but I have to give another shout out. We started collecting these before they blew up and you could find them everywhere, so I guess you could call me a Funko Hipster (band name, called it!!!). We used to just pick up one here or there, usually at comic conventions. We have Jaba the Hutt, IceBeard (the white walker from GoT), Predator, Diablo, and Jack Skellington with Zero (but we only bring those out on Christmas). Now that they are everywhere and address every fandom imaginable, our friends have started gifting them to us. The more the merrier I say! I’ve had my eye on several of them for quite some time. We just got Daryl from The Walking Dead (we named our dog after him, so he was a pretty solid gift), Khal Drogo and Dany, and The Dude. I know that this fad will go away at some point just like every other trendy thing that gets overdone, so I want to have my collection built up before that point.
- Dexter – While I think the series went downhill fast after season 4, I’ve been enjoying re-watching this show. I forgot so many things! The tension between Doakes and Dexter, that horrid bitch Lyla–oh and LaGuerta having a thing for Dexter?! AH! So weird when you go back and watch it knowing how her story goes. Anyway, I’m really enjoying it and I’m actually considering reading the books. Has anyone out there read them? Is it pointless to read after watching? Are they very different from the show? I’m curious.
- Homemade Granola – I will post a recipe for this one, but let’s just say that it is an amazing start to the day. Yum!
Happy 2015 everyone! 2014 was made great by your reading and your comments. Lots of love to you all!