First, I’d like to give a shout out to a favorite of the summer that really deserves its own post, but because we’re into October already, I’ll be whizzing right past: Guardians of the Galaxy! I thought that Captain America: Winter Soldier was nicely done, and then along came X-Men: Days of Future Past which totally killed for me. THEN, Guardians of the Galaxy came out of left field and blew my friggen mind. I mean it destroyed my brain. I thought it was easily the best Marvel movie made thus far. It had so much heart and humor and that is really hard to do in an action-packed explosion-y movie. Two thumbs waaaaaay up.
Also, Chris Pratt? Hello there, sir.
Now, for my Top Five Favorite Things for October.
1. Netflix releases a slew of new shows – As if it wasn’t enough to have my baby, The Walking Dead back, new episodes fo The Following, Supernatural, Sons of Anarchy, The Vampire Diaries, etc. are on Netflix and it warms the cockles of my heart! Seeing the schedule for all the shows to come was like Christmas came early. I can’t wait to catch up and/or binge out on all of my favorite guilty pleasures.
2. Annabelle – I need a scary movie to go see every October and I’m really glad that I went to see this Conjuring spin-off. It may not have gotten as great reviews on Rotten Tomatoes as its predecessor, but I thought that given the premise, it was pretty solid. There are two scenes that totally freaked me out, and I don’t feel like I’m that easily freak-out-able. I don’t want to spoil anything, so I’ll just say the phrases “running through the door” and “the elevator and hallway” as a code for those who have seen it. Freaky as hell, right?
3. For the Record: Tarantino – If you are in the Los Angeles or New York areas, you HAVE to see this show. It is the ultimate experience for a Quentin Tarantino fan. It is a group of very talented singers and actors performing a crazy medley of songs and acting out scenes for Tarantino’s films. I had my doubts, but the drinks were delicious and the cast was even more so. I couldn’t get enough of the girls dancing around the stage. Crazy talent! If you’re interested in a good show but you’re not a guns and blood fan, still look For the Record up. They do Scorsese, Baz Luhrmann, etc. I can’t wait to see another director’s work performed in such a cool way.
4. Brussels Sprouts – Weird, right? I know this will probably be unpopular, but I hadn’t tried brussels sprouts before until about a week ago and now I’m obsessed. Watch out for a recipe on the horizon, because I am psyched about these weird little green veggies.
5. Runyon Canyon – Another L.A.-centric thing, I apologize. I’m a Pacific Northwest gal for sure, but while I temporarily call Los Angeles home, I figured I would take advantage of all that it has to offer. You know, like tons of plastic surgery and vodka. Not really…but maybe. No, not really. Runyon Canyon is a great place to hike if you’re not really into a 127 Hours-type of solitude but want to enjoy a good view. I spend four mornings a week at the top, just taking in the panoramic view. If you go at just the right time of day, you can avoid all the crazies. If you don’t, you may still spot someone cool. I got to whisper an excited hello into Randy Couture’s cauliflower ear.
Well guys, thank you for reading. There are many lists and posts in general to come, so please stay tuned! Also, costumes! Yay!